Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Gardening in Spring: Amending Soil




I am going to start posting HERE instead of Naturalista for gardening stuff. Mostly 'cause I think it's excessive to have three blogs when two will do, one as a photo repository and one as a blog. So here the posting shall be! I won't delete NAturalista, but I won't be posting there anymore.



Onto the garden then!


So to day was a lovely rainy day in Portland. Not to cold, not too overcast, not too rainy. Just right as a rainy day can be. Well, there could be some thunder and lightning, that would be fun. Yesterday was spent turning this into this.



That consisted of weeding (a tarpful), digging up the dirt into giant clay clods and breaking up the clay clods. Then adding perlite( with a mask on), adding aged manure (with gloves on), sand and garden soil. Then, I mixed the lot up together by turning it in with a shovel, repeatedly, breaking up large clods by hand or with the spade.
This took about 4 hours, for half my garden plot. Toilsome and back breaking (or at least aching). There was a 30 min trip to home depot for more dirt. And a few little 10 min breaks here and there to rest. The results are worth the effort, and here's why.



City yards, and sometimes suburban ones and rural ones, are usually composed of hard, compacted soil. Ours happens to also have a large clay content, being near a river and all, in the path of former alluvial plains and near the path of a former creak that now runs under the city. It is no longer an alluvial plain, but it has been lived on for nigh over a century. In that time, it has not been aerated, dug up much or amended in any way. Usually city soil is also compacted by whatever equipment went into building the building it's next to. Big machines( and likely for our place, animals) tramp dirt down good.



Clay soils are heavy, retain water, are hard to aerate and it's hard to all but the most tenacious of plants to sink their roots in well. Plants like light, airy, loamy soil it's fluffy and soft and crumbly. It;s rich with organic matter, minerals, and it drains excess water while keeping moist. It's what you buy in a bag at the hardware store. How do you turn hard clay soil into soft loamy soil? With time, and a lot of other "dirts".



Soil is a mix of minerals (clay particles,sand, grit, gravel, rocks, shells, etc.) and organic matter (decomposing plants and animals). The amounts of each of these makes different dirts unique. Clay has a lot of very very fine particles of what were rocks, this is so fine that the dust is bad to breathe, and it makes cool stuff when you stick it together and apply about 1400 degrees of heat. Clay is good, silty soil is wonderful stuff. Too much clay, and you have something like what you use to make pottery...in fact, you can. Some soils have too much sand, or too many rocks. Some soils have too much plant matter, which is good for some things (peat, marshy loving plants, mushrooms), but will rot others.



So, for my soil, I needed more organic matter (garden soil and manure) and more large particulate minerals(sand and pearlite). Pearlite is a lot like pumice, it's a volcanic rock ground into small bits. It's the white stuff in your garden soil. Large particles keep the dirt particles for getting to close together, it keeps it full of air pockets and helps water drain.



Last year I added only garden soil and manure. This year the soil was almost as bad as last year. Which explains why my garden didn't do as well as it could have. So this year it's getting a bigger over haul. And next year, when I dig it up again, I will adjust it again. I will keep doing this until I move, or I dig the soil up in spring and it's soft and crumbly and a rich dark brown.



I moved all my starts into the newly made rows and they are very happy today, most of them have grown noticeably. I also put in some seeds. Tomorrow or maybe next week, I will tackle the other half.



And a side note, I move the compost bin. And then I turned the lot it was in into a wild flower bed. The soil there is the same hard clay as everywhere else, but I am not ready to turn this into a new garden bed. Wildflowers are tenacious and strappy plants that will survive in poor conditions. They are also a good cover crop, for now, it will keep weeds out of that area. And they make good cutting flowers.
But I had pumpkins in the compost bin all winter. And the spot where one of them was (the pumpkin is long gone.) has turned into a plethora of volunteer pumpkin sprouts.





There are also two new pics in Photographia.
And if anyone knows HTML for paragraph indents I will be grateful if you share it with me, I hate not indenting paragraphs but nothing I have tried has worked. =P

3 comments:

Ammy Lea said...

try five & nbsp's (w/o the space between the & and the n) you can just line them up right next to each other to hard-code spacing into your pages.


      Is this indented? If so, that's my suggestion for you!

Unknown said...

VISIT MY SITE

http://www.crazycraft.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I just want you to know that, in researching how to amend my soil this year, I remembered your blog, searched for this post, read, learned, and will head to the nursery today with more confidence than I had when I woke up this morning. Woot!