Saturday, April 5, 2008

Locavorian

My new kick, ok, it's not new, but I have been trying harder to do this lately, is buying foods that have been produced close to where I live. Right now I prefer things from Oregon and Southern Washington, but will still buy foods from California and Mexico. I cannot give up my avocados! It's been much more fun to grocery shop, it's like a scavenger hunt. But it means I get to eat much more seasonal, MUCH fresher foods and I enjoy them more. Meats and dairy have to be local and pasture raised and hormone free, and believe me..animal products TASTE eleventyhundred times better this way, not to mention how much better it is for you.

Today was the first Saturday Farmers Market of the season. And since I have been playing hooky from work for the last two days, for very good reason, I decided today I needed to get out of the house and go get me some tomato plants and fresh veggies. I came away with much more.

I got raw milk sharp cheddar from Rouge Creamery, whole cream top milk in a quart bottle from Noris Dairy and fresh peewee eggs from Square Peg Farm. I forgot the name of the stands where I got my veggies (kale, rabe, a shallot and some taters) and my loverly baby tomato plants. More on them later!

Peewee eggs are eggs smaller than a standard small egg. We are used to getting Large AA eggs from the store, but really the peewees are just about the right size for me. I was recently introduced to duck eggs and they are fantastic. But I made the mistake of making two eggs for breakfast like I usually do, and Duck eggs are huuuuge. One duck eggs is too much egg for me. But they were still good. =)

But needless to say my lunch was fantastic. The cheddar is so divinely cheddery and those egg yolks are the deep orangey yellow of a happy healthy chicken. And the milk is a treat. I do not drink a lot of milk, that pint will last me about 2 weeks. I can then take the bottle in for reuse by the dairy, since they sell the milk at my co-op.
I haven;t been eating well the last few days and so, I nearly cleaned my plate. A few potatoes escaped the fork. Also on that plate is some yummy locally made bread(the whole wheat is local and organic) local yellow beats and Russian banana potatoes, and a sneaky green pepper from my home state.

Yum.
I get much more enjoyment out of my food knowing where it came from and how it was grown or raised and meeting the people who make the food possible.


My tomatoes!

I picked 6 starts, Cherokee purple, legend, stupice, black brandywine, Amish paste and copia. All heirloom varieties and all have different qualities. I am looking forward to some fantastic tomatoes this year. And having learned from last year about compost and tomatoes, I moved the compost bin for my new tomato bed so these puppies are going to have lots of sun and lots of good nutrients and I am going to have LOTS OF 'MATERS!
I also got some oregano to plant. I just need basil, but it's too early for basil.
Yay tomato sauce! I am going to can so much sauce this summer!

1 comment: