Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Automobile-less?

I am contemplating selling my car. I do not particularly like my car. It's an SUV. And it didn't cost me a penny and it runs well and it's handy for carrying large loads... But gas in the PNW is over 3$ a gallon, I live 1.8 miles from work (20 mins walking). I live less than a quarter mile from one grocery store and about .5 miles from another. I live about 600 ft from a bus stop. and less than a quarter mile from the MAX (light rail) AND the trolley (in the other direction.)
I spend 45$ a month on insurance (how is it only 45$ for me? PERFECT RECORD for the last 15 years and I drive less (a lot less) miles than the average person in my geographic region, and my car is not new.)
I spend between 40-80$ a month on gas. I fill up only 20$ at a time and if I am not driving out to the suburbs often, that lasts almost 2 weeks. 2 weeks on less than half a tank of gas.
Anyway that's at minimum 85$ a month. A bus pass is 75$.
So economically I save between 15-50$ a month by not owning a car.
And I gain some exercise and the stressless-ness of not driving.

But I like driving. I like having a car. I like being able to carry large loads of stuff from, like, the nursery or home depot or the grocery store when we need to buy cat litter and cat food. I like the freedom to pop over to friends' houses or across town. Or to the coast.
But I hate the car I own.
I can sell it for about 4 grand and pay off some bills AND save money each month by not owning it.
And then I can save for a GOOD car, something I won't be ashamed of owning.
I can rent a flexcar if I need to go to home depot.
so, do I go carless in one of the best cities in America to do so? Am I ready, me, a California born and raised driver, ready to not have a car?
I don't know.
But it's on my mind, and I am leaning towards not having a car, for now.

3 comments:

Janine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janine said...

I am inclined to suggest that you consider the different sources of motivation for this potential lifestyle change. Is it simply a financial matter? In this case, is your time (time on the bus, time walking, time finding the flexcar, etc) worth something in the total calculus? I do believe you have ethical qualms as well about driving a big ol' SUV. Imagine how good you will feel not contributing to and supporting "car culture." And who can argue with more fresh air (walking or biking to work, not fewer emissions, though that's the case too I guess) and more time to, I don't know, knit on the bus?
As for giving up the pleasure of driving, maybe the pleasure of driving is worth something to you in the financial/ethical equation? Maybe this is only a temporary break from this pastime (both relaxing and stressful for me, often simultaneously). Maybe it is only a matter of being uncomfortable while you get used to your new car-less routine.

When I was still in school downtown, I almost never took my car out. I bussed to school and walked to the grocery store (smaller trips, more frequently) and it was only ever awkward in the beginning. After a couple of weeks I didn't mind that my formerly ten minute commute was extended to an hour or more. When you take Tri-met, you may have to cozy up with urine-soaked half-crazies occasionally, but you never have to find - or pay for - parking.

Erica Wisner said...

My mom gave me her old Geo Metro recently, the first car I have owned. I do feel odd, driving where I used to bike, and regret the lack of exercise. But it's extremely handy for transporting my partner (who has had a badly broken leg for the last 11+ months) and other cargo.

How about this:
If you do decide to get rid of your car [before I do], I will give you 2 free days of using mine. That way I can have some incentive to bus or bike too, and you can get errands done. If we both like how it feels, we can keep on trading or carpooling -- e.g. swap garden days. Might be more fun than FlexCar, and possible more convenient/less expensive.

The Geo has a hatchback, so it's pretty good for nursery trips if you don't mind gearing down for the hills.
Another FYI: Our friend Anders researched cars that would fit a bike inside, plus have low gas mileage, low maint, etc. He chose a Honda civic hatchback. Same general idea. If you do save up for a new smaller car, those are options to consider. I think you might be able to buy a used one for cash, rather than having to get a loan. You could see how mine feels and that could help you decide, too.

Love,
Erica