Thursday, December 6, 2007

Driving

So, my car sort of died, the Ford. And I now have a new car, courtesy of my dad. It's a lovely SMALL car, and it's cute. It's also a manual. I was driving it home last night from work and it struck me, that, this car, this stick shift, is analogous to my life.
This is the story;
I don't know how to drive a stick. When my dad called and said "I found a car for you...you can drive a stick right?" I replied "Uh, no, but I am sure I will learn." Diplomatic answer. What I really wanted to say was more like "Oh god...I'm terrified of learning how to drive a stick."
My roommate took me out in her car to practice some.
My mom and I drove up and I drove part of the way.
Now the car is here and I have no one to drive for me. And no other car to drive.
The car will not drive itself.
I have to drive it and I won't get better at it until I drive it more.
And sure enough, I am getting better at it.
And I have a sure feeling once I learn how to drive a stick as well as I did an automatic, I won't want to go back.

But it still terrifies me. Something I was able to do, without much thought, is suddenly strange and uncomfortable. But I have to keep driving it in spite of my fears and my discomfort to get it.


And my life is a little like that right now. Uncomfortable. Scary...But I am not going to get anyplace if I sit around and wait for it to take me someplace. I have to get in the car and drive. It's time to move on down the road.

2 comments:

Janine said...

Amen, sister!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.