Thursday, June 14, 2007

How do you do? Berry well, thank you!

Time flies when you are busy at work. Oh yes it does. I am adjusting to my new working schedule of doom and it's going swimmingly, more or less. My sleep schedule is a bit wonky though. Riding my bike to work when there is no traffic is downright enjoyable. That's maybe the one upside of working late. The exhibit is extraordinary. It wasn't before we opened, when I was helping to install it. It wasn't exciting the first time I saw it put together, it was nice, it's a lovely exhibit, but it wasn't especially amazing on it own. The exhibit, Body Worlds 3, is about the human body, and it must take people seeing that to really make the power of this show sink in.

Alone, the plastinates are just empty former bodies, really, more silicone polymer than human anymore, but they ARE human. But when the crowds come in, and they see this exhibit, it's really a very powerful experience, for them, and for me. Seeing school kids learn about their bodies in ways a textbook can never ever explain, and their awe and amazement it just incredible. You know, the same kids that can;t keep still for 5 minuets, joke about inappropriate things and thinks learning is boring? Awe-struck, still a little giggly( the plastinates are anatomically correct you know.) but just quiet and serious and subdued. Grownups are equally amazed,. Listening to people and reading their comments left at the end of the exhibit are what, for me, bring tears to my eyes. It's a human experience unlike anything any of us can really have outside of the medical world. How small, simple and complicated, fragile and strong a human is. Vulnerable. It's really something to see it as a shared moment. Alone, it's void of it's soul. Surrounded by people, it's something unique and breathtaking.
Pretty cool. And fairly exhausting work.

I did manage to go to Sauvie Island for the first time this year with Miss J9 today, we picked strawberries. loads of them. I picked 20 lbs in fact. At a 1$ a pound that's a sweet deal. Granted some were picked for my friend, Erica, but the the rest are bound for the freezer, jam pot and my belly. Strawberries are my most favorite fruit. And this is the time to get em.
The field at our favorite farm was just perfumed with the berries, then Janine's car was perfumed with berries and now, NOW, my apartment is flush with the scent of ripe picked berries. Ahhhh...it's heaven.
berries..

No comments: